Sources: The Guardian, Tumblr, StopSharkFinning.net, youtube.com, Sea Shepherd
Environmentalists and animal rights activists are outraged after approximately 18,000 shark fins were discovered drying out on a rooftop in Hong Kong, hidden from public view. The delicacy, often used in soup, is very popular in China. But the practice of fisherman removing the animal’s fin and throwing it back into the sea to die, and the over-harvesting of sharks, has begun to change public opinion. In Hong Kong sellers say that “ shark fin soup soup is very nutritious and good for the bones.” One kilo, about 2.2 pounds, can cost from $100 to several $1000.
What You Can Do:
1. Never order shark fin or support establishments that sell or serve them. If you find yourself in a restaurant that serves shark fin, inform the manager politely about the issues involved before leaving.
2. Choose to dive in regions that have shark-protection legislation. When other countries or regions see an incentive in protecting sharks, they will be more likely to follow suit.
3. Sign the Project Aware Foundation’s “Help Give Sharks a Fighting Chance” petition at projectaware.org/givesharksachance.
4. Join the Shark Savers Facebook page to keep up to date on current support actions in the U.S. and worldwide at Facebook.com/sharksavers.
5. Show your support for the bill banning shark fin in states, like California, Washington and Oregon, by writing to your senator and requesting a state-wide ban of shark fin.
Click Pic To Sign All Ban Shark Finning Petitions and share with your friends! (click the word ”here” after each petition)